Saturday, October 19, 2013

Le Chesalet

Switzerland is now our home. 
More particularly, the community of L'Abri is now our home. A lovely chalet, named Le Chesalet (all the homes have names) awaited us. It used to be a barn a couple hundred years ago, and has more character than I could ever design into a house: the central stone fireplace, the little window seats in all 4 windows of the living room, the hidden closet under the stairs, the huge bathtub, and ohhh! the balcony! I admit to processing a little guilt in this new set-up. My childhood conviction that your life must be miserable in order to really be serving the Lord still creeps in from time to time.
Le Chesalet, along with 6 other equally delightful chalets, is situated in the community known as L'Abri (the Shelter) on the side of an Alpine mountain overlooking the Rhone valley. I don't know the names of the peaks I oggle everyday, but I hope to learn them all. We've started a new life here as workers at L'Abri, but we have returned to an old life, too. My husband and I met here, in one of those 6 before-mentioned chalets, over 10 years ago. 
I had come as a student to this place as a nineteen-year old, feeling some confusion and cynicism color my world at that time, and desperate not to let that be my defining viewpoint. I had read about L'Abri online, from the desk in my dorm room at Virginia Tech. I remember reading the description of this Shelter in Switzerland that took in anyone who wanted to step away from their regular life and look at their questions with honesty. L'Abri did not promise me perfect answers to every struggle or perfect relationships due to their commitment to communal living, but it seemed to offer a safe place for me to air the nagging edges of my mind:  
"How can we Christians claim that God is good when the world looks like it does?"
That question was the reason that I came. I tried to make it seem like my questions were actually about the evils of Capitalism or my own journey into Calvinism, but neither of those big  "C's" quite reached into the dark depths of my one question:
"Is God truly good?"
That's why I came to this place in February of 2003. Here it is October of 2013 and I am back. This time with husband, 2 sons, 4 suitcases, and 1 guitar.

8 comments:

  1. We are so excited for you, Dave, Cole, and Adam! What a beautiful place to live and serve the Lord! Please keep us updated on your journey and Great Adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda! I had to peruse your profile to find out who this was! So nice to hear from you. I am hoping to post more pics and story today, as our stuff has arrived and our home is coming into shape. How is everyone at RC?

      Delete
    2. Things at RC are about the same. We are still in the Dreamhouse building for now. Terry's ordination was finally approved and should be held in the next few weeks, unless there is a change of heart somewhere. We all miss you and yours. Post soon if you can find a minute.

      Delete
  2. We, too, are thrilled for y'all!! Wish I could come visit, too. God bless you, keep you, and use you for His purposes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chesalet is where the Bradfords lived in my time there, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joey! So nice to hear from you. Le Chesalet was Karryn Goldsworthy's. I am planning to post more pics today, as our belongings have arrived and a home is emerging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, immediate teary eyed joy reading this beautiful update!! Just checking in and overwhelmed at God's loving and lavish provision for you guys!! Pray you all are very well and blessed in the struggles and quiet moments in your new place and responsibilities. Thank you for posting the pictures! What a completely breathtaking view!! Blessings!! Our hearts and prayers are with you!!

    ReplyDelete