Monday, December 9, 2013

"The backdrop that surpasses it all"

Have you ever wondered if your physical posture has more to do with your whole person than you previously imagined? Why is your back "out?" Are your neck spasms related only to that lumpy pillow? Were the years of your father's admonishments to "stand up straight"  more than concern for the health of your spine? 

My neck has been giving me grief lately. As it has throughout the last 20 years. Most would readily admit that stress compounds our muscular dysfunctions, and of course some schools of thought put enormous weight on the relationship between spirit-health and bodily wellness. I do not presume to fully understand or prescribe the answers to these centuries-old debates, but my neck has been giving me grief lately. My heart has also been giving me grief lately. 

When I am walking through the astounding beauty of that part of the world that I now call home, I have to remind myself to look up! The mountains, the evergreens, the light on the clouds- I often miss it all, absorbed in my own personal woes. Hunched over, brow furrowed, ice-avoiding, I can walk for an hour with a crick in my neck and avoid looking beyond my next immediate step. 

And then...grace comes. I remember God's intentional adjective pointed at His beloved Israelites- a stiff-necked people. I lift my eyes to the hills, and pray for loosened muscles, a strengthened spine to walk through sorrow, and a growing posture of trust.

                                                                                       :::

...These thoughts were inspired by our director here at L'Abri. His Friday Musings from last week read:

"Feelings of betrayal and abandonment are awful. Life is never less than these, though remember, it is always so much more. While time, precious time, will be necessary to process and work through our sense of hurt and rejection, love and acceptance remains the backdrop that surpasses it all. Seek, therefore, to fill up the empty spaces with good and thereby embrace the 'so much more.'"

-Dr. Greg Laughery, Director of Swiss L'Abri, on Friday, December 6, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment